[CentOS] OT - host/asset tracking

Wed Jun 11 17:06:38 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Max Hetrick wrote:

> Mark Belanger wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend something for tracking assets
>> particularly computer.  I'm looking  to capture:
>> hostname
>> OS/arch
>> Hardware info(cpu, mem, etc)
>> Function(i.e. what is the machine used for)
>

> I use GLPI:
>
> <http://glpi-project.org/?lang=en>
>
> You can do software, contracts, licenses, suppliers, and contacts as
> well as all the hardware categories.

Someone else mentioned ocsinventory-ng
(http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org/), but to complete the picture,
ocsinventory-ng includes agents for windows and linux that will
automatically send each machine's hardware and software inventory to the
server periodically and can be used to deploy packages so it is easier
and more accurate than doing it by hand and will stay up to date.  GLPI
is a more completed and detailed inventory system that can handle more
than PCs, but it knows how to pull the data from ocsinventory when you
use both.

Both are available via yum from these repositories (needs EPEL too)
http://blog.famillecollet.com/post/2005/10/02/8-telechargement-installation-et-yum
and they work fine in English even though the developers are French.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com