[CentOS] Re: Not seeing all memory in CentOS 5.1 x86_64

Wed Jun 11 17:29:10 UTC 2008
Ruslan Sivak <russ at vshift.com>

MHR wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Ruslan Sivak <russ at vshift.com> wrote:
>
>> I guess it has something to do with the ballooning driver for Dom0.  It
>> looks like I just tried to allocation too much memory to DomU and the box
>> went down hard.  I think there's a setting in xen to the min amount of
>> memory to go down to, but I'm not sure why Dom0 is using 600mb of RAM.  Is
>> there a mini installation of CentOS that I can do that would use less RAM?
>>  I've already unchecked all the boxes when installing CentOS. I would like
>> Dom0 to be as small as possible, both due to RAM usage and from a security
>> perspective.
>>

> I've not familiarized myself with xen yet, but have you considered
> VMware Server?  I haven't had any serious problems with it, and none
> at all since v1.0.5 came out (1.0.6 is the current one).  Works
> nicely, stays within its memory allocation, and top et al work as
> you'd expect them to.
>
> HTH
>
> mhr

Are you talking about VMware Server 1?  Isn't there an issue with only
being able to allocate 3.4GB of ram or something to that point?  I guess
it wouldn't be an issue since I only have 8GB of ram on this box, unless
I wanted to allocate a lot of ram to a single process.

I, too, like VMWare Server 1 and have been using it in production under
windows.  Does it support paravirtualization at all?

I treid, VMWare server 2 beta, and they made it pretty much unusable.
The web interface isn't that great, and there is no way to tell it to
use an LVM volume.  Hopefully they will improve it in the future.

It's too bad that you can't use Xen and VMWare on the same box.  I
could've ran Windows stuff in VMWare and Linux stuff paravirtualized in
Xen.

Russ