[CentOS] LDAP syncrepl incompatibility between CentOS 4.x and 5.x

Thu Jun 12 00:09:13 UTC 2008
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Brett Serkez wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 6:24 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
>> That said, I don't recall syncrepl ever working in 2.2.x and have used
>> slurpd for replicating with 2.2 but if the OP says he thinks he had it
>> running, well, I'm not gonna argue with him.
>
> syncrepl 2.2.x works fine between CentOS 4 systems as installed via
> yum.  I just used this today, made changes on the master that I needed
> on to use on the slave, the replication was instant.
>
> The issue is between 2.2.x and 2.3.x.  What I said I thought worked
> was replication from CentOS 4.x to CentOS 5.x (ie. 2.2.x -> 2.3.x), as
> when I brought the CentOS 5.x on-line and started slapd,  the LDAP
> database was almost instantly available.  I never used any other
> method to load the LDAP data on the CentOS 5.x system from the CentOS
> 4.x master.
>
> It is only recently that I noticed the replication failing, I believe
> after a recent yum update.
>
> I have looked at using yum to regress the version of LDAP on the
> CentOS 5.x system, but it seems I needed to have turned on a yum
> option before the update to do this.  I also noticed all the
> dependencies as far as trying to build myself.
>
> My assumption is that eventually newer versions of LDAP will be
> available that will work.

There is an openldap in the CentOS Testing repo for centos-4 that will
work with centos-5.

It has a compat-openldap-<c4_version> for the things that are compiled
against the c4 version ... and i am using it in production and syncing
c5 and c4.

However, it is a couple updates behind.

The version is 	openldap-2.3.27-4.el4.centos

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes