[CentOS] Re: custom kernel cant find label /

Wed Jun 18 17:43:53 UTC 2008

Jerry Geis wrote:
> Running e2label /dev/sda1 reports that in fact the partition is "/"
>
> My kernel boot line is infact "root=LABEL=/"
>
> My issue here is that I did the initial install. This install boots with
> the LABEL=/ just fine.
> After the custom kernel build it does not boot. I'm trying to find out
> if there is an option in the config
> that is needed for these label boots. Perhaps one of these: (I dont know
> if I am fishing here and/or which one would do it)
>
> CONFIG_NETLABEL
> CONFIG_BSD_DISKLABEL
> CONFIG_UNIXWARE_DISKLABEL

How about Diff the config's from the stock kernel and yours ? Although,
if the kernel speaks ext3 it should be fine for labels, as far as I can
tell off the top of my head.

> I did search and wasn't finding what I was looking for, then I posted.
>
> I have not changed the line to try root=/dev/sda1 as I was trying to
> make it work the same way.

That might be worth trying, its a simple hack and it will tell you if
your kernel even boots or not.