[CentOS] Forbidden: You don't have permission to access/phpMyAdmin/ on this server.

Thu Jun 19 04:30:23 UTC 2008
Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 5:45 PM, Herta Van den Eynde
<herta.vandeneynde at gmail.com> wrote:
> Joshua previously suggested SELinux might have something to do with
> it, but being new to it, I didn't know what to do with that info.
>
> I'll need to read up on what this means exactly.  I originally
> untarred the phpMyAdmin in my non-priv'ed home directory - which must
> be the "user_home_t" reference - and then moved it over to its current
> location.
>
> I meanwhile switched to permissive mode.  If SELinux is this tricky,
> I'll have to find time to study it before enabling it again.

Why don't you install it from an RPM?

Dag/rpmforge has an RPM for 2.11.5:
http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/phpmyadmin/

RPMs will usually set SELinux permissions the right way for you, so
you usually don't have to bother doing that. They also have the
advantage that it's usually easier to do upgrades to newer versions
once they're out.

You should try to keep your SELinux in enforcing mode, since that will
harden your system's security (and once it's off, it's hard to get it
on again).

With web tools that connect to databases, you will probably set some
booleans to allow them to connect to the databases. You can control
that with "setsebool", you will probably need to "setsebool -P
httpd_can_network_connect 1" or most probably "setsebool -P
httpd_can_network_connect_db 1", but try first without setting them to
see if it works, if it doesn't, try setting them and seeing if it
fixes the problem. See "man httpd_selinux" and "man setsebool" for
some of the details.

Please let us know how your experiences go, and what you needed to set
up for it to work.

HTH,
Filipe