[CentOS] remote access info please

Thu Jun 19 08:52:27 UTC 2008
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

John Thomas wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>> My question is that I will need secure access to those servers via X, not
>> just the C/L terminal. What do you recommend for a good secure CentOS
>> program which would do this. Would also want to access via a high
>> port, but
>> I am sure just about any program will allow this to be manually
>> configured.
>
> I use NX and find it amazing.  I downloaded the RPMs from nomachine.com
> because I had not found that they are built in one of the repos (testing
> if memory serves).

I second the recommendation for NX, especially if you want a full desktop.

There is a better version of NX in the upcoming 5.2 release in the
extras repo.

The major difference between nx/freenx and vnc is that NX is compressed,
so the desktop is pretty much like running it on the machine, where vnc
(and normal X forwarding via ssh) are much slower.  I use a remote NX
desktop all the time, and it really is just like being on the machine.