[CentOS] Re: What will the upgrade to 5.2 be like?

Fri Jun 20 00:05:00 UTC 2008
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On 6/19/08, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
> on 6-19-2008 1:15 PM Rob Townley spake the following:
>> Security > Stability when it comes to web browsers and i wonder if 1.5
>> is more secure than 2.14.  i wonder when 1.x will not have security
>> patches anymore.  rh must document that somewhere and i will have to
>> find it.
>>
> That is probably the reason for the new version. Most of the time RedHat
> only
> issues new versions when backporting becomes difficult/impossible. They are
> almost as protective as Debian has been.
> A web browser crashing on a distro originally designed for servers was
> probably a low priority for them. They probably assume that a browser is
> usually used to read docs or download packages.

I agree with Scott about the philosophy involved. Although Upstream
sells a Desktop version of RHEL, the vast majority of installations
are  on Servers and Desktop users are a much lower priority. Those of
us who are Desktop users are lucky, with what's coming in 5.2.