[CentOS] New convert

Fri Jun 20 09:41:49 UTC 2008
Lorenzo Quatrini <lorenzo at gmk.it>

Matt Harwood ha scritto:
> All,
>
> Apologies for cluttering the list, but I just wanted to say hello and
> prepare all for a barage of silly discussions from a tech-hypochondriac!
> We have recently purchased two servers running CentOS, and as I'm from
> more of a Debian based background, it would be good if someone could
> point out the two or three main differences please? I'm reading up on
> the package management as I type, but any quick tips and tricks for
> (web) server admin with CentOS would be magic.
>
> Sorry for being cheeky! Hope everyone is well, too.

Well, Welcome :)

My 2 cents:

1) "yum list all > yla && yum info all > yia" for offline searching and info
reading of packages

2) "grep system-config yla" and you'll find the main tools for configuring the
system

3) Setup the priorities
"http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities" and add new
repository
"http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories?action=show&redirect=Repositories"

4) http://wiki.centos.org

5) google

99) when anything else fails: ask this list ;)

Regards

Lorenzo Quatrini