[CentOS] What will the upgrade to 5.2 be like?

Fri Jun 20 22:09:32 UTC 2008
Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org>

Lanny Marcus wrote:

> I'm looking forward to upgrading to 5.2!   If for nothing else, for
> the newer version of Mozilla Firefox. The current version (1.5.0.12)
> crashes, very frequently, at web sites I use.

You can always put a newer version of FF in /home/${USER}/firefox and
then put that directory at the beginning of $PATH in your .bash_profile

No other changes are necessary and next time you log in voila! when you
click the FF icon in the menus, the newer version gets launched. There
is absolutely no reason to inflict that kind of pain on yourself when
newer, more stable versions of the same software are available.

I actually do the opposite - I run Fedora 9 on this workstation, and it
comes with FF3. The problem is that Google Browser Sync is not supported
under FF3, and it will be discontinued later this year, so I will have
to run FF2 on all my systems until Mozilla Weave comes out with a
version that's similar enough with Google Sync in terms of features.
Hopefully that will happen pretty soon.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/