[CentOS] recommendations for copying large filesystems

Sun Jun 22 01:27:39 UTC 2008
Erek Dyskant <erek at blumenthals.com>

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 09:33 -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
> I need to copy over 100TB of data from one server to another via
> network. What is the best option to do this? I am planning to use
> rsync but is there a better tool or better way of doing this?

At gigabit speeds, you're looking at over a week of transfer time: 1
gigabit = 125MB/sec = 800,000 seconds = 9.25 days, not counting protocol
overhead.  You could speed this up with link bonding, which from

If it's a oneoff transfer and you can afford downtime while you're
fiddling with hardware, you may consider directly attaching both sets of
storage to the same machine and doing a local copy.