[CentOS] backup question

Sun Jun 22 14:27:34 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Anne Wilson wrote:

>> I've had good results using Clonezilla for complete backup of OS+data.
>
> Is there any compression?  Does it span multiple CDs if necessary?

It does an image copy and knows enough about most filesystems to only
copy the used portions of the disk.  Yes it compresses, no it doesn't
split - or write CD's directly.  It lets you store the image in a
variety of places (network mount via samba, NFS, or ssh), local disks
which could be USB external, etc.).  After the image is stored, you can
use a command line to convert the image to a bootable DVD image
containing clonezilla and the image. But it doesn't split and you have
to use some other utility to burn the DVD.   It would probably work
pretty well to install clonezilla to boot from a large USB disk where
you could store images directly and restore from them.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com