[CentOS] is it possible to login to a switch via RS232 / serial port from the shell?

Sun Jun 22 21:08:20 UTC 2008
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 09:57:08PM +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> >Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> >>Hi all
> >>
> >>I have a problem switch in our data centre, which is connected to a
> >>linux server via a serial cable. I know I can / could access the
> >>switch from my Windows PC back at the office, using hyperterm, but
> >>trying to access it using minicom just doesn't seem to work.
> >>
> >>I have changed the comms in minincom to use /dev/tty0 & the baud rate
> >>to 9600, yet I can't seem to connect with minicom. Does anyone know
> >>how to connect to a serial device from the console?
> >
> >That should work, but I usually use kermit which has a lot more
> >options and is scriptable.
> >
> >With kermit, try:
> >
> >set line /dev/ttyS0
> >set carrier off   (just in case the device doesn't raise CD)
> >connect
> >
> >then it is control-] followed by 'c' to get back to kermit.
> >

> where do I get kermit? yum install kermit returned no results

I don't know, just offhand, where you can get a binary ready to install
on Centos or RH.

But if you're not afraid to compile it yourself you can find it here:
http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ck80.html

Shouldn't be anything harder than unpacking the archive and typing
"make linux".

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.