[CentOS] recommendations for copying large filesystems

Mon Jun 23 03:12:53 UTC 2008
Michael Semcheski <mhsemcheski at gmail.com>

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org> wrote:

> I have done 700k and 800k files transfers (including hardlinks), but indeed
> it could take a while to compute the transferlist. Newer rsync versions
> bring down the amount of memory needed drastically. That is one of the
> reasons I offer a recent rsync in RPMforge. There is almost never a good
> reason to use a dated rsync.

I just thought I'd de-lurk and chime in that there are some patches for ssh
to allow better performance:

http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/

If you do end up using rsync for something like this via ssh, you might want
to look at some of the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center's patches.  The
high-performance patches can allow you to see dramatic increases in
throughput.