[CentOS] backup question

Mon Jun 23 15:30:44 UTC 2008
Theo Band [GreenPeak] <theo.band at greenpeak.com>

Gergely Buday wrote:
> Dear CentOs users,
>
> I have a centos server with nothing important at the moment, but I
> would like to install some web-based project management tool (trac for
> the curious) that would contain important data. And, as my network is
> growing the configuration of the server is becoming complex. I would
> like to have a proper backup so that I can restore the whole system
> easily, should any problem occur. What do you recommend?
>
> I'm not an expert on this, so my first idea is that I could do a per
> application backup and create a tar file of the /etc. The latter
> especially could be too naive. And, a push-the-button method that
> handles all in once, not depending on the app number would be much
> better.
>
> Another thing: how I could do this to be safe across a centos upgrade?

I use dump (and restore). It works nice for ext3 file systems.
First you do a full dump (level 0) then you do an incremental dump (1 or
higher):

dumplevel=0
or for incremental
dumplevel=1

# To use ssh to connect to the remote host
export RSH=ssh

# then dump
dump -${dumplevel} -u -z -f remote_host:/sda1_dump /dev/sda1

You have to fill in your device and filename of course....

See man dump/restore

Cheers,
Theo

--
GreenPeak Technologies
Phone :  +31 30 711 5622                             Catharijnesingel 30

CONFIDENTIALITY: this message, including possible attachment(s),
constitutes confidential GreenPeak information, intended for the use of
above named addressee(s) only; any other use or disclosure to anyone
other than addressee(s), is prohibited. Chamber of Commerce
NL-3210.56.42.