[CentOS] Re: Re: Re: CentOS 5.2 is here!

Tue Jun 24 11:53:54 UTC 2008
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

Michael Simpson wrote:
>> Yup
>>
>> All upgrades / updates in the major versions (5.0 -> 5.1 -> 5.1) will happen
>> automatically when you run yum upgrade, and when it's officially released
>> for updates. And I'm almost certain most, if not every, other Linux distro
>> also works like this
>>

> sorry for the studid question but do we use yum upgrade or yum update
> and what is the difference between the 2
>
> mike

man yum  :)

 update If run without any packages, update will update every currently
installed package.  If one or more packages are  specified,
              Yum  will  only  update the listed packages.  While
updating packages, yum will ensure that all dependencies are satisfied.
              If no package matches the given package name(s), they are
assumed to be a shell glob and any matches are then installed.

              If the --obsoletes flag is present yum will include
package obsoletes in its calculations - this makes it better  for  dis-
              tro-version changes, for example: upgrading from somelinux
8.0 to somelinux 9.

       check-update
              Implemented  so  you could know if your machine had any
updates that needed to be applied without running it interactively.
              Returns exit value of 100 if there are packages available
for an update. Also returns a list of the pkgs to be  updated  in
              list format. Returns 0 and no packages are available for
update.

       upgrade
              Is the same as the update command with the --obsoletes
flag set. See update for more details.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers