[CentOS] Re: Re: Re: Re: CentOS 5.2 is here!

Tue Jun 24 12:29:50 UTC 2008
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>

>>> Are you saying that simply running "yum update" on a Centos-5.1 system
>>> will convert it to Centos-5.2, as and when that is released?
>>>

>> All upgrades / updates in the major versions (5.0 -> 5.1 -> 5.1) will
>> happen automatically when you run yum upgrade, and when it's officially
>> released for updates. And I'm almost certain most, if not every, other
>> Linux distro also works like this
>>

> Well, I never heard of a Fedora 9.1 distribution
> that could be "yum upgrade"d to Fedora 9.2 .
> IIRC, when RedHat (occasionally) had versions 8.1 and 8.2
> they were completely different.
>
> Sorry to be dumb, but what is the point of calling it Centos-5.2?
> Is it just that if installing Centos from scratch,
> one could download a more up-to-date version?

Sure, not everyone follow the sub-version / minor version path for
software, but even in Fedora Core, you'd find Xen 3.0, Xen 3.1, Xen 3.2,
etc

Sub versions (i.e. CentOS 5.1 / 5.2) are normally minor upgrades within
the major version, whereas major versions in most software distributions
often involve large changes (like adding / removing new / old
architectures, or major kernel upgrades, or totally new features /
software / scripts).

Bear in mind that FC is almost a tottaly different distro than CentOS
and they aim at the cutting edge stuff, yet their numbering works with
major numbers. I'm sure there's a better explanation on their forum /
mailing list / website why they follow that route, but (*)Ubuntu,
Slackware, Suse, Debian, FreeBSD (Yes, I know it's not Linux, but it's
an example), Mandriva, Red Hat, etc all have major & minor numbers,
hence my comment, "

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers