[CentOS] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CentOS 5.2 is here!

Tue Jun 24 12:39:07 UTC 2008
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>

>>> Sorry to be dumb, but what is the point of calling it Centos-5.2?
>>> Is it just that if installing Centos from scratch,
>>> one could download a more up-to-date version?
>>>
>> Think of it as a rebase with added kernel drivers, some newer features
>> and so on, while still basically being CentOS 5.
>>
>> Or - if you come from the windows world - CentOS 5, service pack 2.
>>

> But does one actually get Windows XP SP3
> simply by repeated "Windows Update"s?
>
> Re kernel drivers, are you saying that Centos only updates the kernel
> when there is a (minor) distribution change?
>
> I'm not complaining, just slightly baffled by the nomenclature.

Windows XP service pack 3 was released recently, Windows NT 4 had 6
service packs

I used kernel as an example. But the same applies for Gnome, KDE, Xen,
sound card drivers, network drivers, etc.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com