[CentOS] Problem with nvidia-drv-x11 when upgrading to CentOS 5.2

Wed Jun 25 05:13:11 UTC 2008
John <jses27 at gmail.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of Marko A. Jennings
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:18 PM
To: centos at centos.org
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Problem with nvidia-drv-x11 when upgrading to CentOS
5.2

On Tue, June 24, 2008 3:08 pm, Bernhard Gschaider wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I know that the nvidia-drv-x11-package is from RPMForge, but I thought
> I might mention it here.
>
> I have a machine with a NVidia-card and because of the ease of use I
> use the rpmforge-package for that.
>
> After upgrading the problem was that during rebooting as soon as the
> machine hit the RHGB (which implicitly uses that driver) the machine
> froze. I booted into the old kernel removed rhgb, rebooted. Now the
> machine froze when starting X. Same procedure: Old Kernel. Remove
> nvidia-drv-x11. Reboot into the new kernel and reinstall
> nvidia-drv-x11. After a reboot everything works as it used to.
>
> The cause of the problem could have been (sorry, I didn't do any
> thorough forensic) that the nvidia.ko that was used in the new kernel
> was a symbolic link from the "weak-updates"-directory into the old
> kernel "extra"-directory. Is it possible that this only works inside
> of kernels with the same x in CentOS 5.x ?
>
> For the other machines I am upgrading I plan to
>
> 1. deinstall nvidia-x11-drv
> 2. do a regular "yum upgrade"
> 3. reinstall nvidia-x11-drv after reboot

That is exactly what I did and my machine hangs again after nvidia-x11-drv
is installed.
Have you tried an older version of the driver from rpmforge? Do that First
and see how that turns out. I myself am a fan of the Nvidia Drivers from
nvidia.com. Meantime CentOS 5.2 is Very New and they may very well be issues
with driver Stability yet to be.

http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/Nvidia_Graphics  This is a link of how
to install the nvidia driver from nvidia.com. **WARNING** It is not finished
but there should be enough info there to get to rolling in the right
direction. You need to be aware it is a draft only. Cent OS 5.2 will also be
included in it with in the next 30 days as time alows me.

Alternativly after you get one Nvidia.com driver going on one machine, you
could copy the built kernel module over to other machines providing they
have the same card. Warning, I do not condone such as that. Good Luck...

JohnStanley