[CentOS] how to downgrade from CentOS 5.2 to CentOS 5.1?

Wed Jun 25 09:07:29 UTC 2008
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>> I've run into some trouble with a new cPanel VPS, and noticed that
>>> it's running CentOS by default, installed via the CentOS http server.
>>>
>>> My question is, how do I downgrade CentOS to 5.1?
>>>

>> There is no way to downgrade, however you can install from a
>> centos-5.1 tree, but centos-5.1 is 5.2 minus a bunch of security
>> upgrades.
>>
>> We will eventually be moving the 5.1 tree to vault.centos.org, but if
>> you want to use it for an extended period of time, you should probably
>> download the tree to a local mirror.

> Ok, I understand that, I'm just trying to avoid downloading &
> reinstalling the software on there already.....

You can do:

rpm -qa --last > lastest_rpms

then edit the file latest_rpms and see what was installed on the upgrade.

You can then downgrade by hand the packages that are causing your
problems or all of them using:

rpm -Uvh --oldpackage --replacefiles <path_to_old_package>