[CentOS] CentOS 5.2 kernel [2.6.18-92.1.1.el5] crashes on dual-PIII Compaq ProLiant 3000

Wed Jun 25 11:01:20 UTC 2008
Tim Verhoeven <tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Miguel Medalha <miguelmedalha at sapo.pt> wrote:
>>> I get kernel panic at powernowk8_init+0x05e/0x1c3.
>
> I don't have the necessary knowledge to evaluate kernel related issues, but
> it seems to me that there's some kind of confusion involved here.
> People are reporting problems with Intel Pentium II and III machines yet
> PowerNow is a speed throttling </wiki/CPU_throttling> and power saving
> technology used in AMD processors.
> Should powernowk8 be called when Intel processors are present?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerNow!

In theory you are correct. The problems seems to be that upstream has
decided to make that module part of the kernel itself and not as a
seperate module. This means that it is always loaded and that is
probably the reason why ther are issues on none-AMD hardware.

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Verhoeven - tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com - 0479 / 88 11 83