[CentOS] bittorrent

Wed Jun 25 12:16:48 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 12:54 +0100, Michael Simpson wrote:
> On 6/25/08, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> > William L. Maltby wrote:
> ><snip>

> > might the default upload/download rate limits be bringing you down ? iirc,
> > almost all BT clients have some limit or the other... rtorrent perhaps does
> > not.
> >
> > - KB
>
> I presume that as you have 1.25MB/s then you aren't on a T1 but are on dsl.

Nope. Cable (RoadRunner Turbo at home - competitive pressures forced a
recent speed increase by Time-Warner).

> Maybe your ISP is "shaping" your traffic for you
> you could run tcpdump for a short while and look for resets or window
> size fluctuating suggesting artificial congestion

I always keep a watch for such things. But I know this is not the case
as I upgraded 5.1->5.2 on one node while I was downloading the images on
another so that I could later seed for others. During that time, the
aggregate between the two nodes was as expected.

Besides, TWC knows not to mess with me!  ;-)  I recently reported a
problem in their network that they couldn't fix for three months
(typical CPE fault viewpoint I presume). I told them their net was
broken and which nodes. Sure enough, we finally got to a total outage
and when it was fixed, so was my problem. Anyway, one of their "causes"
was that I had upload 27GB that week (actually, I'd been doing it for
several months - they hadn't noticed so it likely was not the cause). I
reminded them that the upload speed was sold to me and was mine to use,
with due consideration. And being in the boonies, my contention is low.

In their follow up survey about customer satisfaction, I did lay a few
choice words on them and offered that not all their users were TDUs
(Typical Dumb Users).

> i know that using torrents has become problematic since my isp was
> bought by one of the bigger players in the UK who seem to think that
> all torrent traffic is there to be throttled irrespective of whether
> it is legitimate

I hear that Comcast over here tried that too. I can't recall if it got
canned or not. There are more rumblings about others doing that too. I
have no problem (as I told TWC) if it is done *as_necessary* to provide
equitable access to all. I told them that software was sophisticated
enough to do it as needed only.

> bad business model massively overselling bandwidth

That's expected. Like politicians, we can't expect a profit driven
business to tell us the truth, live within their means or keep their
word. Plus, marketing at TWC is careless, or ignorant, about
distinguishing between Kb and KB.

--
Bill