[CentOS] backup with dd

Wed Jun 25 19:07:23 UTC 2008
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Clonezilla-live is a boot-from CD linux that will copy just the used
> portions of the disk and can save to another disk or image files on
> local disks or over the network.  I'd recommend it over dd, but maybe
> someone has a way to do LVM snapshots so the copy can be done without
> a reboot.

i've generally used dump(8) and restore(8) to image ext2/3FS....
this can even be used to do an incremental dump although I rarely do that.

while i've never tried this, in theory, if you're using LVM, you can
snapshot a live filesystem, then dump the unmounted snapshot to get a
clean image.

note that snapshotting a database is a somewhat dicey proposition,
however.    I generally prefer to use the databases own dump facility
rather than backing up its raw tablespace files (pg_dumpall for
postgres, etc).