[CentOS] nfs cannot see mount points on other machine

Thu Jun 26 14:42:40 UTC 2008
Jason Pyeron <jpyeron at pdinc.us>

Was having a similar problem this morning, just listed them too as mounts on top
of the other mounts.

> That is true for all the "special" directories like dev,
> proc, sys (which makes some sense), but also for directories
> that are mount points on the other machine. Does nfs not give
> me access to those mount points? Do I have to create a second
> nfs mount to that machine which mounts only that mount point?
> Or do I need some parameter to mount these mount points under
> the normal mount?
>

>From man exports

nohide

This option is based on the option of the same name provided in IRIX NFS.
Normally, if a server exports two filesystems one of which is mounted on the
other, then the client will have to mount both filesystems explicitly to get
access  to  them.   If  it just  mounts the parent, it will see an empty
directory at the place where the other filesystem is mounted.  That filesystem
is "hidden".

Setting the nohide option on a filesystem causes it not to be hidden, and an
appropriately authorised client will  be  able  to move from the parent to that
filesystem without noticing the change.

However,  some  NFS clients do not cope well with this situation as, for
instance, it is then possible for two files in the one apparent filesystem to
have the same inode number.

The nohide option is currently only effective on single host exports.  It does
not work  reliably  with  netgroup,  subnet,  or wildcard exports.

This  option  can  be  very  useful in some situations, but it should be used
with due care, and only after confirming that the client system copes with the
situation effectively.

The option can be explicitly disabled with hide.

- Jason Pyeron                      PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant              10 West 24th Street #100    -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333            Baltimore, Maryland 21218   -

privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you
have received it in error, purge the message from your system and
notify the sender immediately.  Any other use of the email by you
is prohibited.