[CentOS] Re: Automatic site selection for dowload

Fri Jun 27 11:23:39 UTC 2008
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

tech wrote:
> Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>
>> Me thinks they call that yum-fastestmirror :)
>
> Me thinks that doesn't work.
>
> fastest mirror give me the lowest values for .tw sites. Which, I think
> mean the fastest. They are in fact, the slowest. Here are some real
> numbers:
>
> base 856 kb 27:38
> updates 91 kb 1:20
>
> kernel-devel died after 52:01
>
> At this point several mirrors were tried finally a fast one was found
> and things went quickly and smoothly.
>
> Almost one hour and only 1.7 of 4.8 m was downloaded
>
> This is typical for me getting data from .tw sites.

Then ... find the fastest mirrors and don't use the default.

We can't possibly try to program in thnigs like this on our end.

The fastestmirror script actually makes a connection to the mirrors in
question, the lower ones should be the best ones.  It is possible that
is not the cause, but we can't test for that.

You can, however, remark out the "mirrorlist=" line and instead add
several baseurl=<server_path> lines yourself that you want to use.

Then you get updates from where ever you want