[CentOS] Clamd not working

Sat Jun 28 09:16:21 UTC 2008
AnneWilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

On Friday 27 June 2008 23:35:35 Paul Schoonderwoerd wrote:
> On Friday 27 June 2008 19:43:06 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > rm /var/clamav/* -rf
> > which will remove all the signatures. Don't worry, you'll get them
> > back in the next step. As root, type
> > freshclam -v
> > And that will download all the necessary signatures again.
> > </quote>
> >
> > At that point I thought all was well - until I had to reboot, when I
> > found that it hung with a message (from memory) 'self-checking 1800'.
> > Using Interactive boot I discovered that it came from clamd.
> >
> > I'm guessing that daily.cld  main.cld  and mirrors.dat are being sought
> > somewhere other than /var/clamav.  Maybe a symlink is required?  If
> > someone with a working clamd could advise me I'd be most grateful.  For
> > now I have had to chkconfig clamd off.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Does the /var/clamav dir still exist ? It is in the clamd rpm.
> mirrors.dat, daily.cld and main.cld are in /var/clamav
>
> It seems easiest to me to reinstall clamd and clamav.

I tried starting clamd from a ssh session and this is what I saw:

service clamd start
Starting Clam AntiVirus Daemon: Limits: Global size limit set to 104857600
bytes.
Limits: File size limit set to 26214400 bytes.
Limits: Recursion level limit set to 16.
Limits: Files limit set to 10000.
Archive support enabled.
Algorithmic detection enabled.
Portable Executable support enabled.
ELF support enabled.
Detection of broken executables enabled.
Mail files support enabled.
OLE2 support enabled.
PDF support enabled.
HTML support enabled.
Self checking every 1800 seconds.
Socket file removed.
Pid file removed.
--- Stopped at Sat Jun 28 10:13:34 2008
                                                           [  OK  ]
 It appeared to hang at the 'self checking' line, and I left it for several
minutes before using Ctrl-C.  Is this something I have to let it do to
correct things, or is it something that should not be happening?  It is the
same 'self checking' line that appears to hang bootup.

Anne