[CentOS] New yum search behavior is awful/useless

Sat Jun 28 23:04:21 UTC 2008
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Brian wrote:
> On Sat, June 28, 2008 2:02 pm, AnneWilson wrote:
>> Just type 'yum' without parameters, to get a list of possibilities.  I
>> think 'yum list' may be what you are looking for.  (I don't have Fedora or
>> CentOS on this laptop so I can't check.)

No CentOS or Fedora ... is there any other OS out there besides these
two???  I have heard rumors of others, but I don't believe it  :D

> Or
>
> yum provides <package name or string>

One new behavior is important ... if you are looking for a file name
that is part of a string, you have to use wildcards:

yum provides libkholidays.so

(this give NOTHING)

yum provides \*libkholidays.so

or

yum provides '*libkholidays.so'

those will return the answer of: "kdepim.i386 : PIM (Personal
Information Manager) for KDE"

Please remember, we DO NOT WRITE this stuff, we just build it to work
the same as upstream :D