[CentOS] settings up cheap a NAS / SAN server, is it possible?

Sun Jun 29 20:28:10 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

>>> I mainly want to use it as a backup server for hosting servers, so
>>> I'll focus on FTP / SSH / SFTP / iSCSI (if possible), and maybe NFS -
>>> I don't want SMB (for security reasons). I'll probably also add
>>> Webmin to allow users to browse their backups via HTTPS, manage
>>> folders, etc.
>>
>> You might like backuppc (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/) for a
>> backup system that will let individual machine 'owners' browse/restore
>> their own backups while using compression and linking all duplicate
>> files to use much less disk space than you'd expect. There's some
>> tradeoff in speed compared to straight rsync and it needs more CPU,
>> but the disk savings and ease of use might be worth it.
>>
> Yes, Backuppc is one of the programs we'll suggest :)

The pooling won't have the same effect if you run many separate
instances sharing the file server.  If you run a single instance that
backs up many machines, you only actually store one copy of each unique
file and all duplicates become hardlinks to that instance whether the
duplicates are found across hosts or in different runs of the same host.

If these are real or virtual hosts you can give their owners web access
to only their own host's backups.  If you have virtual web sites on the
same host you have to go through some contortions to split control but
it is still possible.

> But it will also be used for Linux control panels like cPanel, Plesk,
> Webmin, etc which use traditional FTP backup (via local LAN only).

And those won't have any pooling.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com