[CentOS] INIT 5 and system is gone

Mon Jun 30 14:48:20 UTC 2008
Paul Schoonderwoerd <paul at pollux-it.nl>

On Monday 30 June 2008 16:33:32 Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> Is there an option that I can edit into the kernel command at boot time
> to init in 3?  And then what do I try?
>
> If I have to reload Centos, I have to pull the drive, put it into
> another system, install there, etc.  Not my idea of a fun day....

In the grub system menu you can type e for edit and append a 3 on the line
that starts with 'kernel'. Then type b to boot this entry and it should boot
in runlevel 3. Then change back the inittab and try startx to start Xwindows.
If that fails look in the X logfile for the reason.

Regards,
--
Paul Schoonderwoerd
Pollux IT - Open Source oplossingen & Netwerk beveiliging