[CentOS] CentOS, ISDN and Fax ...

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Sun Mar 2 17:35:28 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>Hey guys,
>
>is anyone of you using CentOS (4/5) for an ISDN fax gateway? I just had
>someone over here at the CentOS booth who wanted to know if there's a
>possibility to integrate the AVM CAPI into CentOS and then use the
>machine as a fax gateway with 2, 3 or 4 S0 buses.
>
>Is that possible?

Probably.  It's been quite a while since I did any new ISDN connections,
and have never done it with internal cards, only with device line Annex
8000s via PRIs, and smaller Ascend Pipelines and Max 1600s (I have a couple
of Max 1600s and a variety of Pipelines here we're not using if anybody is
interested).  I looked at a variety of internal ISDN cards with Linux about
10 years ago, but preferred to stick with external devices.

We use HylaFAX for all our incoming and outgoing fax, with Multitech
external modems.  I've always avoided any internal modems as it's kinda
hard to reset a wedged internal modem without rebooting the machine.

Bill

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line
broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!