[CentOS] install LAMP

Mark Pryor tlviewer at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 16:25:48 UTC 2008

--- Matt Shields <mattboston at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Hiep Nguyen
> <hiep at ee.ucr.edu> wrote:
> > hi all,
> >
> >  i'm not an expert on linux/centos, but i play
> with it and have a general
> >  idea.  it's time for me to setup a centos box for
> development.  i rarely
> >  install anything from source, except a few times
> in college when i have to
> >  modify kernel for OS project.  but i guess i can
> learn now.
> >
> >  i just installed centos 5 with minimal
> installation.  next step is to
> >  install LAMP w/ SSL.
> >
> >  i found http://lamphowto.com/lampssl.html, but i
> have questions before i
> >  proceed.
> >
> >  is it better to install from source or rpm?  how
> easy it is to
> >  upgrade/update if install from source?  it seems
> so much easy to
> >  upgrade/update from rpm, well b/c i'm always do
> this way.
> >
> >  is there any other instruction (beside the one
> mentioned above) to install
> >  LAMP w/ SSL?
> >
> >  appreciate your help/suggestion
> >  t. hiep
>
> It's better to stick to the RPMs to make it easier
> to upgrade.  If you
> want an easy way to install LAMP you can run 2
> commands
>
> yum -y groupinstall "Web Server"
> yum -y install mysql-server php-mysql
>
> This will get Apache, MySQL, and PHP all installed.

Adding to this (which works for me too), here are some
default values (from RHEL) for configs and web root:

  main configs - /etc/httpd/conf/
  for merged configs- /etc/httpd/conf.d/
  apache2 daemon name = httpd
  web root - /var/www/html/

  mod_perl config - /etc/httpd/conf.d/perl.conf

  note that there is no default mod_perl startup
script!

--
Mark

rt3 packages for C5+ (till March 21)