[CentOS] question about network repositories

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Mon Mar 3 17:23:18 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm thinking about setting up a local / LAN respository for my CentOS,
> and probably other (Fedora Core) disto's, but have never done it before,
> so here's some questions:
>
> If I setup a repository, can it hold different distro's / architectures
> & versions? Say for example, CentOS 4 (i386 & x64), CentOS 5.0 & 5.1
> (i386 & x64) - will each one have it's own folder?
> Will it also be possible to only download the packages that are needed,
> instead of the whole 4GB repository from the upstream provider? I have
> some of the CD's or DVD's for all of the distro's, so really only need a
> few packages now and then, and instead of getting them from the net
> everytime, get them from the LAN repository?

If the distros are from the same family, ie RHEL/CentOS/Fedora, then it
is pretty safe to use 1 repo for the family.

You will need to separate the different architectures though i386/x86_64.

> Then, how would I do this?

My repo directories are setup like such:

<Repo Name>
    +- SRPMS

    +- i386
    |    +- RPMS

    +- x86_64
         +- RPMS

Then in i386 I run 'createrepo' (of course install createrepo first!),
and in x86_64 I run 'createrepo'.

Then I just create a simple <Repo Name>.repo file /etc/yum.repos.d
like such:

[Repo Name]
name=Repo Name Packages for Linux
baseurl=http://software/Software/Repo Name/Linux/$basearch
enabled=1
priority=0
gpgcheck=0

I leave setting up Apache as an exercise in well, setting up Apache.

Hint: Setup mime type .rpm as text/plain otherwise rpm chokes.

Afterwards you could get fancy and create an RPM with the .repo
file in it, and/or setup gpg keys for signing your RPMS.

-Ross