[CentOS] Request for hplip upgrade

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Mar 3 19:37:53 UTC 2008

Bob Taylor wrote:
> My wife purchased an HP Deskjet F340 all-in-one printer last year.
> CentOS 5 includes hplip-1.6.7. I need at least hplip-2.7.10 which I have
> had to install via tarball. Is there any plans to update this package
> soon?

Our goal is to be 100% directly compatible with the upstream EL
software.  So, the short answer is ... I have no idea when or if they
will put that in a current product.

If you want to know what MIGHT be in CentOS-6 (still probably 6-8 months
away) you can look in Fedora 9.  The version there (in what is called
Rawhide) is currently hplip-2.7.12-5.fc9.src.rpm:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/development/source/SRPMS/

I would imagine something close to that will be in CentOS-6.

Remember that these things will likely never make it into already
released versions of centos .. as enterprise versions STAY with what is
released throughout their lifetime.