[CentOS] Rejecting spam

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Tue Mar 4 22:14:41 UTC 2008

John Hinton wrote:
> Tim Alberts wrote:
>> John Hinton wrote:
>>>
>>> There are milters for SpamAssassin. You can set them to reject mail
>>> at a particular score level. So, if for instance you felt
>>> comfortable with rejecting mail at a score of 10, which is pretty
>>> reliable, you can also do that at smtp level.
>> BINGO  That's exactly what I'm trying to do with spamass-milter.
>> However it either won't do it, or my configuration is incorrect.
>> Mail marked as spam is still being delivered as normal?
>
> It's how the milter is started. This is my slightly edited
> spamass-milter init.d
> file.
>
> ---------start--------------
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #
> # Init file for Spamassassin sendmail milter.
> #
> # chkconfig: - 80 20
> routes \
> #              email messages to spamassassin
> #
> # processname: spamass-milter
> # config: /etc/sysconfig/spamass-milter
> # pidfile: /var/run/spamass-milter
>
> source /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
> source /etc/sysconfig/network
>
> # Check that networking is up.
> [ ${NETWORKING} = "no" ] && exit 0
>
> [ -x /usr/sbin/spamass-milter ] || exit 1
>
> ### Default variables
> SOCKET="/var/run/spamass.sock"
> EXTRA_FLAGS="-r 10"
> SYSCONFIG="/etc/sysconfig/spamass-milter"
>
> ### Read configuration
> [ -r "$SYSCONFIG" ] && source "$SYSCONFIG"
>
> RETVAL=0
> prog="spamass-milter"
> desc="Spamassassin sendmail milter"
>
> start() {
>        echo -n $"Starting $desc ($prog): "
>        daemon $prog -p $SOCKET -f $EXTRA_FLAGS
>        RETVAL=$?
>        echo
>        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/$prog
>        return $RETVAL
> }
>
> stop() {
>        echo -n $"Shutting down $desc ($prog): "
>        killproc $prog
>        RETVAL=$?
>        echo
>        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/$prog
>        return $RETVAL
> }
>
> restart() {
>        stop
>        start
> }
>
> case "$1" in
>  start)
>        start
>        ;;
>  stop)
>        stop
>        ;;
>  restart|reload)
>        restart
>        ;;
>  condrestart)
>        [ -e /var/lock/subsys/$prog ] && restart
>        RETVAL=$?
>        ;;
> [...]
Oops! I knew there was another place to do this.

In /etc/sysconfig/spamass-milter

Here's my config override. I apparently looked at the config on the
first machine I set up this way which had it in the init file.

### Override for your different local config
#SOCKET=/var/run/spamass.sock

### Default parameter for spamass-milter is -f (work in the background)
### you may add another parameters here, see spamass-milter(1)
EXTRA_FLAGS="-r 10"

Best,
John Hinton