[CentOS] LVM: how do I change the UUID of a LV?

Timothy Selivanow

timothy.selivanow at virtualxistenz.com
Wed Mar 5 00:16:33 UTC 2008

I know how to change the UUID of Physical Volumes and Volume Groups, but
when I try to do the same for a Logical Volume, lvchange complains that
"--uuid" is not an option.  Here is how I've been changing the others
(note that "--uuid" does not appear in the man pages for pvchange and
vgchange for lvm2-2.02.26-3.el5):

pvchange --uuid {pv dev}
vgchange --uuid {vg name}

Any suggestions? I'm pretty much open to any arcane/convoluted
procedure, but I refrain from copying the data to a temp place so I can
re-create the LV as that would add too much work and would kinda defeat
what I'm doing.  Thanks!

--Tim
/ Obviously I was either onto something, or on something. \
\              -- Larry Wall on the creation of Perl      /
  \
   \   \
        \ /\
        ( )