[CentOS] Error reading block x (Attempt to read block...)

Scott R. Ehrlich

scott at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 5 10:45:05 UTC 2008

A Centos 5 64-bit server reflected some SCSI kernel errors in the logs, so
I opted to reboot, only to be prompted to perform a manual fsck, that an
automatic fsck wouldn't be permitted.

As a result, the fsck is taking a long time, as I have to babysit the
server for every bad block that is reported and needs a forced rewrite.

The exact error is "Error reading block x (Attempt to read block from
filesystem resulted in short read) while doing inode scan.   Ignore
error(y)?

Force rewrite(y)?"

I say yes to both.

Could I safely get away with booting from a CentOS 5 CD and performing a
fsck with automatic system fixing to speed up the process, or do I need to
be patient and just keep manually selecting Y for as long as it takes?

Thanks.

Scott