[CentOS] environment variables in kickstart

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Wed Mar 5 16:06:27 UTC 2008

Jerry Geis wrote:

> I have been looking for environment variables for the %post
> section of
> kickstart.
>
> Namely if I start my kickstart command with "linux ks=http://serverip/ks.cfg"
> is there an environment variable that has serverip that I can use in the
> %post section?
>
> Also is there a way to pass a command line argument to the %post section
> when running kickstart command as the above http://serverip/ks.cfg

There are no pre-assigned environment variables in kickstart, but
you can query kernel parameters from 'cat /proc/cmdline' and you
can setup your own environment variables early in the %post section
that you can use later.

You can probably use different userland utilities to acquire
different information and populate your own environment variables
with it. Just make sure the utilities are installed in the
%packages section. DHCP information would be handy in variables. I
set the architecture variable early with:

export ARCH="`uname -i`"

-Ross