[CentOS] Re: Slightly OT: How to learn UNIX

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Thu Mar 6 19:09:54 UTC 2008

On Thursday 06 March 2008, Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> Ok, what about opensolaris?  Is
OpenSolaris is the development branch of Solaris. Things like Project Indiana
make it look a lot less like Solaris 9 and before do. Everything that is in
Solaris 10 is in OpenSolaris plus a lot more - new package management system,
new installer, crossbow (network interfaces), ... Eventually, OpenSolaris
will become Solaris 11.

The problem you will run into if you concentrate on Solaris 10 or OpenSolaris
is that the majority of all Solaris systems out there is still running 9 and
earlier. I get around quite a bit these days and my best guess is about 20%
Solaris 10, 10% solaris 9 and 60% solaris 8 and 10% earlier releases.

Solaris 8 isn't a good learning target because Solaris 8 x86 lacks drivers for
almost everything. The differences between Solaris 8 and 9 aren't that great
so you can save yourself a lot of trouble by just using Solaris 9 as the
model for pre-10 Solaris.

Peter.