[CentOS] rsyslog repo?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Mar 6 22:48:01 UTC 2008

Johnny Tan wrote:
> I'm definitely all for stable, non-broken software even if it lags
> behind -- even way behind.

in the case of rsyslog, thats not the case :D I had a play with the 3.x
tree today, and it *looks* ok to me. So might as well inflict it upon
everyone else considering its in the Testing Repo, no sane person will
use it in Production. Right ?

I shall have updated packages in a couple of days, prolly over the
weekend. The package queue is quite long at the moment.

> But I'm specifically interested in rsyslog v3 for the disk-assisted
> buffering.
>
> Basically, I want to be able to log locally AND remotely. AFAICT, I have
> to move to v3 to get this feature.

err, really ? you could do that with conventional syslog too.

> Do you use it for central logging? And if you do, how do you mitigate
> the risk of data loss if the clients can't contact the server?

you can syslog to a machine and it can syslog to another machine....
also, running over tcp is nicer, since you atleast now get a chance to
do something about bits that dont make it.