[CentOS] Slightly OT: How to learn UNIX

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 13:44:42 UTC 2008

Andreas Pedersen wrote:
> I'm also interested into learning more about other system as well, my
> question is what should I take a closer look in Solaris?
> Things like why people choose Solaris over Linux.

Solaris puts a lot of effort into maintaining backwards compatibility.
With Linux, things as fundamental as device names change routinely and
you often have to have to recompile things between versions.  Centos is
pretty good about this within a major release, but the long support life
of those releases is an exception in the Linux world and you still find
big differences between the major release versions that don't always
maintain compatibility.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com