[CentOS] Colors in vi for user rootRe:

David G. Miller

dave at davenjudy.org
Fri Mar 7 15:10:32 UTC 2008

Mario Gamito <gamito at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How can I have vi with syntax hilghting for root ?
> Regular users have it, but not root's.
>
> I've seen the hidden files of a regular user home, but found nothing.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Warm Regards,
> Mário Gamito
This was discussed previously soon after CentOS 5.0 was released.  The
upstream distribution changed root from using vim (with syntax
highlighting) to using vi.  With the 4.X versions root was using vim.
The 5.X configuration is:

[root at bend ~]# which vi
/bin/vi

[dave at bend ~]# which vi
vi:      aliased to vim
[dave at bend ~]# which vim
/usr/bin/vim

The idea is that vi is in /bin which should be available if the system
can boot at all.  Stuff under /usr may be in a different partition and,
thus, may not be available for some reason.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce