[CentOS] Multi domU Xen Box Network Transparent Sound

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Fri Mar 7 19:11:06 UTC 2008

(I tried cross-posting between centos and centos-virt, but
it only appeared on centos-virt, maybe it was rejected?)

I have a new development box at home that I am working on.

Currently it has CentOS 5.1 + Xen 3.2 running several domUs.

I am using XDMCP on the domUs and an X Chooser on dom0 for
connecting to them and it works well, but now I want to be
able to get sound from my domUs and I have been struggling.

I can get some from network transparent sound by using ESD,
but I have no way of controlling the mixer (volume) settings
from within the domU which kind of sucks.

I have been looking at the possibility of setting up a
PulseAudio server in dom0 and installing the ALSA PulseAudio
plugin on each domU set to use the dom0 server as from the
web site it seems to be able to have remote mixer controls
and can be handled as if it were a regular ALSA sound card,
which should allow a majority of the apps to work as if
there were a local sound card.

My questions are:

1) Has anybody on the list used PulseAudio in this type of
setup (not necessary Xen interface, but ALSA plugin to
remote PulseAudio server)?

2) Does anybody on the list know a compatible repo that
carries pre-compiled PulseAudio packages?

Thanks in advance,

Ross S. W. Walker
Information Systems Manager
Medallion Financial, Corp.