[CentOS] Problem getting JavaRuntime Environment installedintoOpenOffice

Therese Trudeau mswotr at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 7 22:40:07 UTC 2008

>>  Sure I'll give that a try.  I thought I had the latest
>> release, just downloaded it a few days ago - did they just
>> come out with a new one?
>>
>>  If I install the latest, does the script un-install the
>> previous version I just installed?
>>
>> I'm also wondering if I got the correct JRE?  I got the JRE from here:
>> http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
>
> You can have multiple JREs installed, but since this one
> ain't working 100% may as well uninstall it manually
> with yum remove '*jre*'
>
> If you aren't doing Java development or hosting a JSP
> server there is no real need to have the JDK either.

OK, I ran the un install (do not have JDK installed), un install apparently went fine, then I downloaded the jre-6u5-linux-x64-rpm.bin from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp,
Followed these instructions:  http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/install/jre/install-linux.html#install
then installed it.

Ran a ls -l /usr/java, below is output:

total 16
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   16 Mar  7 17:28 default -> /usr/java/latest
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Mar  7 17:28 jre1.6.0_05
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   21 Mar  7 17:28 latest -> /usr/java/jre1.6.0_05

Ran java -version, output is:

java version "1.6.0_05"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 10.0-b19, mixed mode)

Tried to find it in the OO Calc Tools>Options dialog box, only Free Software Foundation v 1.4.2

Maybe I'm not using Tools>Options correctly?