[CentOS] Getting JRE working in Firefox

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Mar 8 07:09:09 UTC 2008

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I have installed both:
>
> jdk-6u5-linux-i586-rpm.bin
> jre-6u5-linux-i586-rpm.bin
>

> But no Java plugin in Firefox.
>
> I go to:  http://java.com/en/download/help/enable_browser.xml
>
> And yes, Java is enabled but still get the dreaded 'download plugin'.
>
> I seem to recall some magic linking needed, but my docs are in Freemind
> that I can't get installed either.....

I'm using the icedtea java plugin and it is working out fantastically
for my (admittedly rare) java plugin needs.

It's in CentOS Testing. Here's the yum.repos.d entry:

[c5-testing]
name=CentOS-5 Testing
baseurl=http://dev.centos.org/centos/$releasever/testing/$basearch/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://dev.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-testing

There's a URL to download it - I don't remember where, someone here will
know.

Leave enabled=0
You don't want it enabled for everyday use.

then -

yum --enablerepo=c5-testing update jpackage-utils
yum --enablerepo=c5-testing install tzdata-java \
   java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin