[CentOS] OpenOffice now automagically works: One last question...

Therese Trudeau mswotr at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 9 16:49:01 UTC 2008

>>> Therese, the setroubleshoot package mentioned here was installed by
>>> default on my system.  If you go to that after you have had a failure it
>>> generally tells you what it saw as a threat, and what to do about it if
>>> it should be allowed. Usually it's just a matter of copy and paste a line
>>> of command.
>>
>> Thanks Anne,
>>
>> Will setting to permissive prevent real time threats, or just tell me what
>> happened after the fact of a failure?
>>
> I'm no expert on this, Therese, but I doubt the advice you've been given that
> setting to permissive is the same as having it disabled.  Why?  Because I had
> quite a number of problems with it set to permissive, mainly ones that
> stopped samba working.  Once I had sorted out the necessary commands samba
> has behaved without problems.  If it was as ineffective as setting it to
> disabled I would not have had to do this.  I'd say set it to permissive, use
> setroubleshooter, and if you still can't sort it, either post here what
> setroubleshooter says about it or google for parts of the message.

Thanks Anne,

Just a note that I re enabled SELinux, and even though I was not able to get a connection to a  MySQL database in OpenOffice 2.3 earlier with SELinux set to enforcing, now I am able to connect with SELinux set to enforcing. This may have been due to a separate issue related to the JRE problem I had, which has been resolved.

What I don't understand now, is that when I run a /usr/sbin/sestatus, I get the below output:

SELinux status:                 enabled
SELinuxfs mount:                /selinux
Current mode:                   permissive
Mode from config file:          enforcing
Policy version:                 21
Policy from config file:        targeted

And when I run: selinuxenabled && echo $?

I get zero for output...:

0

...which I assume means that selinux is enabled - set to enforcing.

How is it possible that Selinux is set to Enforcing and is ALSO showing a current mode of Permissive?  Can anyone
give me some insights on this?