[CentOS] Recommendations for a “real RAID" 1 card on Centos box

Therese Trudeau

mswotr at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 9 18:28:10 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm considering setting up my Centos Desktop machine for RAID 1.  I read a lot of good info at this site:http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html#intel-vitesse about differences in fakeraid and real raid cards.

The hardware I plan on installing this RAID card into is an Intel DP35DP motherboard with the Intel E4500 dual core processor, and I have two Mator 500 gig SATA hard drives.

Can anyone recommend a good “real raid” card for my Linux?  What I am looking for is to plug in a RAID controller card out of the box, and without having to load any drivers onto my Centos 5.1 box, have the Real hardware RAID card  automatically do all the work, mirror my hard drive onto the second backup drive and do all the work for me.

Do such cards exist?   If so which model /manufacturers do you recommend? Any experiences/info/insights on hardware RAID cards good or bad on centos boxes would be appreciated.