RE: [CentOS] Recommendations for a “real RAID" 1 card on Centos box

Therese Trudeau mswotr at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 10 00:36:56 UTC 2008

>> So these cards are just plug n play?  Just plug them in, no software or
>> drivers required,
>> all mirroring is managed by firmware built into the card RAID card itself?
>
> Drivers are required for all storage adapters(RAID or not). 3Ware
> handles raid in hardware, not in software, it has a bios which
> you'd typically use to configure the array, you can boot off of
> the array, etc.
>
> 3Ware also offers a management tool for linux (CLI and/or web
> based) which allows for monitoring, and controlling the adapter's
> configuration settings.
>
> 3Ware has had their linux drivers in the kernel for at least...
> 8 years now? maybe longer. So any linux distro should have no
> trouble detecting the card. The latest 9650 cards are pretty
> new and use a new driver, which may or may not be supported,
> CentOS 5.1 should work with it fine though(support for CentOS 4
> was added almost a year ago, I think with v4.5)
>
> They also support hot swap, provided the interface to the disk
> supports it(typically a hot swap backplane).

Great thanks for that info Nate, I just checked out their web site, looks like the 9500S-4LP would suit my needs
for a desktop machine.

I've been leary about desktop RAID cards because a few years ago, I bought an adaptec 1210SA RAID card which supposedly does
RAID 1  I never could get the darn thing to work in my old windows machine and years later found out it is really a fake raid card.  It's been collecting dust ever since
may as well throw it out.  The drivers it required never worked with W2K.

But the Centos server I use has adaptec SCSI RAID controller in it, I guess on the high end for SCSI RAID, adaptec is known for good raid cards, but the one I bought sure did nothing for me
for my desktop.