Re: [CentOS] Recommendations for a “real RAID" 1 card on Centos box

Brian brian-list at comcast.net
Mon Mar 10 02:39:41 UTC 2008

On Mar 9, 2008, at 2:28 PM, Therese Trudeau wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm considering setting up my Centos Desktop machine for RAID 1.  I
> read a lot of good info at this site:http://linuxmafia.com/faq/
> Hardware/sata.html#intel-vitesse about differences in fakeraid and
> real raid cards.

Discontinued chipset but  works fine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816110002

Nice price!  $35/ 5 SATA drive support.  Fewer drives is a $21 card.

No drivers, you run the RAID from BIOS, it shows as an IDE volume for
linux.  See the NewEgg comments for some tips.  Depending on the
speed you need, it could be just great.

You need Windows to update the firmware.  Supports a handful of RAID
types, but not RAID 5.  True hardware RAID though.

All the firmwares, manuals, utils are at:  http://www.soft-port.dk/