[CentOS] Recommendations for a ?real RAID" 1 card on Centos box

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Mon Mar 10 12:48:24 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:17:29AM -0400, Therese Trudeau enlightened us:
> Ah great i'll check out the URL thanks.
>
>  One thing, an earlier poster reccomended RAID 5 instead of RAID 1. I guess
> if one only has 2 drives RAID 1 is the way to go but if I have 4 drives he
> said go with RAID 5 over RAID 1.  Isn't RAID 1 mirroring a better solution
> for a 4 drive array or am I missing something here?

You'll get 4 copies of the same data if you do RAID 1 accross 4 drives. Your
best bets for 4 drives will be RAID 5, RAID 6 or RAID 10. Each has its
advantages and disadvantages, so you'll have to read up on them and make a
decision as to which is best for your use.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics