[CentOS] 32bit support in 64bit environment (CentOS and Debian)

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 10:43:36 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Tim Verhoeven
<tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I don't know how Debian does it. But this is how CentOS does it.
>  Basically all libraries are available in 32 and 64 bit versions and

To complement this with experience with Debian - current Debian stable
release (Etch) still requires you to install 32-bit environments in
chroot and run applications in that chroot. A multitude of chroot
tools makes this painless once it's setup (e.g. I use schroot).  It's
askward and backwards and atypical for Debian to be in such a
position.

BUT - I heard that the next release (i.e. Lenny, which is advancing in
good pace to be released on time this year) finally falls in line with
the rest of the major distributions and supports 32-bit applications
without having to build chroot environment for them. However - I
haven't got around to test this (trying to stick with stable, and the
schroot solution works for me) so I can't give details on how exactly
it works with the installations tools (e.g. aptitude, apt-get etc).

Hope this helps,

--Amos