[CentOS] Adding samba clients to samba server

Scott R. Ehrlich

scott at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 11 15:14:23 UTC 2008

I have an application that requires the use of netbios names instead of IP
addresses, and the company that produces the application says that's the
way it is.

I have a Windows XP machines running the application, and I want to add it
to a domain controller.   I have a Centos 5 machine onto which I've
installed Samba and configured it to be a DC.   I now want to add a couple
linux workstations, also running samba, to this domain controller as
workstations.   I've done this millions of times under Windows, but never
added a samba client to a samba server/dc.

How do I do so?

It is my hope that this will permit me to then use the application, as
I'll have added the XP machine to the Samba DC, too, thus hoping netbios
names work properly.

Thanks.

Scott